Re: How to remove extension 'network-manager-applet' from 'service profi

From: jbranso
Subject: Re: How to remove extension 'network-manager-applet' from 'service profile-service-type'
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 18:18:36 +0000

March 7, 2021 3:56 AM, znavko@disroot.org wrote:

> Hello, Joshua!
> No, sorry. network-manager-applet is an extension of
> profile-service-type
> that is included in xfce-service-type in desctop.scm.
>
> Though I remove network-manager from %desktop-services
> (I already done it in attached config)
> but it pervades into my system
> as far as network-manager-applet is included
> in profile-service-type (that s part of xfce-service-type)
> and network-manager-applet requires network-manager.
>
> My trouble is that there are two places where
> 'profile-service-type' is affected:
>
> 1. in xfce-service-type definition it is just only including
> 2. in %desktop-services it is extended with network-manager-applet
>
> I think I need somehow to remove
> network-manager-applet
> from profile-service-type
>
> How to do it?
>
> Here it is 'xfce-desktop-service-type' definition:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n980
>
> Here netwok-manager-applet is included into profile-service-type:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1260

Oh wow!  I didn't actually know that was a thing!  I did just find this in the
manual:

   The ‘modify-services’ form provides a handy way to change the
parameters of some of the services of a list such as ‘%base-services’
(*note ‘%base-services’: Base Services.).  It evaluates to a list of
services.  Of course, you could always use standard list combinators
such as ‘map’ and ‘fold’ to do that (*note List Library:
(guile)SRFI-1.); ‘modify-services’ simply provides a more concise form
for this common pattern.

So it looks like you can use 'map' and 'fold' on %desktop-services to
manually remove that nm-applet...I'm not entirely certain how to do it
though...

Here's how you can play with that:

$ guile
guile command line $  ,use(gnu services desktop)
guile command line $ %desktop-services  ;; this will list the default
desktop-services
guile command line $ (map ;; or fold
                       ;; some code
                       %desktop-services)