Re: Asking for clarifications

From: divoplade
Subject: Re: Asking for clarifications
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 00:21:38 +0100

Hello,

Le mardi 09 mars 2021 à 21:03 +0300, Михалева, Екатерина a écrit :
> As far as I know, GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible and Linux kernel
> is
> licensed strictly under GPLv2 without any possibility to update to
> any
> further version.
> I presumed that GPLv2 would make the whole product subject to the
> term of
> this particular license. Still your product is licensed under GPLv3,
> if I
> am correct?

In my limited understanding of what is happening, Guix is not a
derivative work of Linux (a "covered work" according to the GPL, so a
work based on Linux) because it does not use the source code of Linux.
If you were to write a module for Linux (e.g. a driver), it would use a
lot of the non-trivial internal APIs, code and data structures defined
by and for the kernel, so it would be considered a covered work and you
would need to use GPLv2. But this is not the case for Guix.

I’m still looking for more specific answers, though.