Re: Mixed Languages Programming

From: raingloom
Subject: Re: Mixed Languages Programming
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 00:59:57 +0100

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 00:26:41 +0100
Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 08:23 +0900, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:
> > Hello!
>
> Hello!
>
> I think you can use JSON-RPC libraries as modern alternatives to that.
> Also gRPC. The "micro-service" paradigm.
>
> > Is this a topic that is particularly interesting to the Guix
> > community because of interoperability, mixing packages, etc? 😄
>
> I don't think so, not in particular.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Yasu
>
> Léo

There is an interesting Nix based project that has some actual good use
cases for a common intermediate representation:
https://publish.illinois.edu/allvm-project/

Chris Webber's talk on Spritely also had some good ideas for using OCAP
in Guix to enhance security by a whole lot.
https://fosdem.org/2021/schedule/event/spritelygoblins/
And that is basically just cross-language remote procedure calls.

Another interesting possibility is to run everything on WASM without an
MMU. See the classic The Birth and Death of Javascript talk.
https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript
Of course that one is pre-Spectre/Meltdown, so take it with a grain of
salt.