Re: error: corrupt input while restoring archive from socket

From: Bonface Munyoki K .
Subject: Re: error: corrupt input while restoring archive from socket
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 21:16:46 +0300

Hi o/

Fulbert <fulbert@bluewin.ch> writes:

> Le Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 04:59:42PM +0300, Mikhail Kryshen a écrit :
>> Fulbert <fulbert@bluewin.ch> writes:
>>
>> > Hello Guixers,
>> >
>> > For the past few days… maybe a couple of weeks (not sure when
>> > it started exactly), I have had frequent errors with
>> > substitutions. Those errors are not [always] reproducible as
>> > another [or more] installation attempt succeed on the same [set of]
>> > file[s].

I have this same problem :(

[...]

>> I'm seeing this too, but only when guix tries to download from my own
>> local substitute server, which runs current guix-publish exposed
>> directly to the network without reverse proxy.  Downloading from
>> ci.guix.gnu.org works without errors.  Could this be a race condition
>> related to download rate?
>
> Hello and thanks for your time Mikhail,
>
> I only have a local channel with a couple of local files but no
> subtitute server. All downloads go through ci.gui.gnu.org.

I ran:

guix pull --substitute-urls=https://ci.guix.gnu.org

and moreover...

>> Downloading from ci.guix.gnu.org works without errors.  Could
>> this be a race condition related to download rate?

... with

guix pull --fallback

I still get the same error.

> I don't know. I'm not even sure what it means and how I could
> check that. Wouldn't this kind of problem be handled on the
> network "layers" ?… Because, as stated, I have not experienced
> other problems besides guix substitutions, whether guix related or
> any other use as a connected "desktop" user.

The only solution I've come up with looks like:

#!/bin/bash

for (( ; ; ))
do
    echo "Press CTRL+C to stop..."
    guix pull 2>&1 | tee /tmp/log.txt
    $(grep failed /tmp/log.txt | cut -d' ' -f3) && \
        if [ 1 ]
        then
            break
        fi
    echo "Building:"
    echo $(grep failed /tmp/log.txt | cut -d' ' -f3)
    sleep 1
    guix build $(grep failed /tmp/log.txt | cut -d' ' -f3)
done

where I basically I keep manually rebuilding the
failed drv again and again subsequently until the
operation finishes. I get the same error during
"upgrades"  and also when installing a package :(

>> > Any idea ? I have not found any recent similar issue on
>> > issues.guix.gnu.org.

Any luck?

[...]

--
Bonface M. K. D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F
Humble GNU Emacs User / Bearer of scheme-y parens