Packages don't get installed in the correct path

From: Garjola Dindi
Subject: Packages don't get installed in the correct path
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 21:31:16 +0100

I have installed the Guix package manager on Debian stable using the
instructions in the manual:

,----[ elisp ]
| (info "guix#Binary Installation")
`----

I have added the following to my ~/.basrhc as indicated in the manual:

,----[ bash ]
| export PATH="/home/garjola/.config/guix/current/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
| export GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.guix-profile"
| export GUIX_LOCPATH=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale
| source "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
`----

When I install a package, I get the following message:
,----
| hint: Consider setting the necessary environment variables by running:
|
|      GUIX_PROFILE="/var/guix/profiles/per-user/garjola/guix-profile"
|      . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
|
| Alternately, see `guix package --search-paths -p
| "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/garjola/guix-profile"'.
`----

Note that the message makes reference to /var/..../per-user/ instead of
~/.config/guix/current. Is that correct?

Actually, despite the configuration in .bashrc, the packages do not get
installed in the $HOME tree, but in /var/..../per-user/. The $HOME tree
only contains the guix binaries:

,----[ bash ]
| $ ls ${HOME}/.config/guix/current/bin
| guix  guix-daemon
`----

The most annoying thing is that the programs are not in the path, but
what puzzles me is that I don't understand this behaviour.

I can of course change the environment vars in .bashrc to point to /var,
but this is not what the manual says.

Can anybody help me figure things out?

Thanks in advance.

Garjola