Re: two questions on guix upgrade

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: two questions on guix upgrade
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 16:43:24 -0400

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:47:33PM -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to tolerate errors in single package upgrade and keep the
> others going?   right now I have opencv installed and opencv build now is
> broken, so if I do the above command as is the whole 'package -u' command
> would fail unless I explicitly exclude opencv from the update step.

You can use the --keep-going or --do-not-upgrade options, depending on
your needs.

> 2. is there a way to exclude packages that require local build?  I use a VM
> with just 4 Gb of RAM running the guix distribution and the above command
> may fail when upgrading and certain packages with no substitutes yet
> available would be build locally and because of the low amount of RAM the
> build steps would fail, again making the whole command fail.   It would be
> ideal to have an option to just skip packages that would be built locally.

No, sorry, this isn't possible (yet?). Guix is a build-from-source
distro with transparent substitution of precompiled binaries, so it's
not simple to "only substitute".

You can use the `guix weather` command to check in advance which
substitute are available, and then use --do-not-upgrade accordingly.