Re: /dev/kvm missing

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: /dev/kvm missing
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 22:09:38 +0100

Hello,

thanks to all of you for your kind and helpful replies!

Am Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 03:32:03PM -0400 schrieb Leo Famulari:
> You may need to enable it in the BIOS. There should be an option about
> "virtualization extensions", or maybe some "Intel VT-something" feature.

Indeed, it was disabled in the BIOS, after I enabled virtualisation,
/dev/kvm appeared.

Am Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 06:16:08PM +0000 schrieb Luis Felipe:
> I have /dev/kvm in my system. In my user-account record I have "kvm" in the
> supplementary-groups field.

And that is something I also added, since
$ ll /dev/kvm
crw-rw---- 1 root kvm 10, 232 16. Mär 21:49 /dev/kvm
has group "kvm".

I got another suggestion off the list to try as a stop-gap measure
an "mknod /dev/kvm c 10 232", which did not work; maybe because the
group was "root" instead of "kvm", but more likely because of the BIOS.

All the best,

Andreas