Re: Packages don't get installed in the correct path

From: Garjola Dindi
Subject: Re: Packages don't get installed in the correct path
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:25:39 +0100

On Wed 17-Mar-2021 at 08:49:22 +01, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
wrote:
> Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> writes:
>
>> On Wed 17-Mar-2021 at 07:51:18 +01, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Garjola!
>>>
>>> Garjola Dindi 写道:

>>> Which mad-Max manual indicates this?  Not [my copy of] Guix's:
>>>

>> [...]
>>

>> Mine (installed in
>> /gnu/store/mi10gphgjw1d....5b-guix-82a9538ea/share/info/guix.info.gz)
>> says in section 5.5 Invoking ‘guix gc’:
>>
>> ,----
>> |    The result of running ‘guix pull’ is a “profile” available under
>> | ‘~/.config/guix/current’ containing the latest Guix.  Thus, make sure to
>> | add it to the beginning of your search path so that you use the latest
>> | version, and similarly for the Info manual (*note Documentation::):
>> |
>> |      export PATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin:$PATH"
>> `----
>
> That’s okay.  This ensures that “guix” (provided by “guix pull”) is
> available and preferred over whatever global installation of Guix there
> might be (such as /usr/local/bin/guix).

So this is in contradiction with what Tobias wrote before?

>>> I don't want to presume what you mean: that they're not where you
>>> thought they would be (not in ~/.config/guix), or that you can't
>>> actually run them (not in PATH)?
>>
>> They are not in PATH.
>
> Then all you need is to add this to ~/.bash_profile
>
>     GUIX_PROFILE=$HOME/.guix-profile
>     source $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile

The issue is that $HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile is empty, and
therefore, none of the installed packages in /var are in the path.

>> It seems that there are a lot of things that I have not understood about
>> how the whole thing works.
>>
>> I will study the manual again. Is there a way to complete remove my
>> current installation so that I start with a clean slate?
>
> I advise against it.  Your problem is with variables, not with stateless
> binaries in /gnu/store.

Given the inconsistencies I have, (the profile file being empty, for
instance), I don't feel confident with my installation and would rather
start from scratch. Is this possible?

Thanks.