Re: How do I retrieve the path to a Guix installed program from command

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: How do I retrieve the path to a Guix installed program from command line in a foreign distro?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 14:21:47 +0100

Hello,

Am Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:32:29AM -0300 schrieb Tomás Chapunov:
> Is there a canonical way to retrieve the full path in my profile to a
> specific package with a command, in Guix on a foreign distro?
> I used locate or find, but I can't figure out from the output how to detect
> and select the correct one.

I think you are looking for "which". This shows you which program would
be executed depending on your $PATH variable, and assuming that the Guix
directories are at the front of it, the Guix program will be preferred.
Like so:
$ which calibre
/home/andreas/.guix-profile/bin/calibre

This is actually the common pattern; you can expect the full path to be
$HOME/.guix-profile/bin/name-of-the-binary

Using this would follow updates of your user profile. If you want to know
the real binary behind the scenes, you could use
$ readlink `which calibre`
/gnu/store/bhasa1a7pvv1icmdm6nrpscazw23pa03-calibre-4.18.0/bin/calibre

It does not move, but thus can of course become outdated or even deleted
when you do a "guix gc".

Andreas