Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 12:49:17 -0400

> March 21, 2021 6:31 PM, "Bone Baboon" <bone.baboon@disroot.org> wrote:
>
> I am trying to manually run `xinit` so that I can use Emacs X Window
> Manager (EXWM). I have EXWM configured in my Emacs configuration file.
> I have a small number of important graphical applications I want to
> run in EXWM (web browser, Jami, qTox, ...).

Hi Bone,

  I run EXWM under Guix System. You don't need to manually start Xorg
with xinit, startx, or any other command. First, make sure that you are
installing emacs and emacs-exwm into your packages list. Also make sure
that your services list includes %desktop-services. Here's a skeleton
operating-system definition to build off of:

(operating-system
 (packages (cons* nss-certs   ; HTTPS access
                  emacs
                  emacs-exwm
                  %base-packages))

 (services (cons* whatever-else
                  you-want
                  %desktop-services)))

Start by installing this operating-system definition with the usual
`sudo guix system reconfigure my-config.scm`.

Then update your $HOME/.xsession file to include this at the end:

# Start Emacs with the script here: /run/current-system/profile/bin/exwm
exwm

Finally, update $HOME/.exwm to include all your EXWM-specific Emacs Lisp
code.

When you reboot your machine, you'll be presented with a simple
graphical login screen. Just type in your username and password for the
user account with the updated $HOME/.xsession and $HOME/exwm files and
log in. X will start up, your $HOME/.xsession file will be read, which
will launch exwm. This will start up a full screen emacs instance that
evaluates your $HOME/.exwm file and then your $HOME/.emacs.d/init.el
file.

That's all there is to it. Now you've got a fully graphically enabled
Emacs instance running as a tiling window manager over X.

Have fun and happy hacking!
 ~Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.