Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 17:42:16 -0400

Sergiu Ivanov writes:

> I also started using EXWM recently and it works without any issues
> for me (actually it works better than I expected).
>
> However, I use the default login manager (elogind) from
> %desktop-services, which picks up EXWM automatically for me.  I don't
> manually start the X server, which is why I didn't previously chime in.
>
> FWIW, here's the relevant snippet from my /etc/config.scm:
>
> (packages (append
>          (map specification->package
>               '("emacs"
>                 "emacs-exwm"
>                 "emacs-desktop-environment"
>                 "nss-certs"))
>          %base-packages))
> (services (append
>          (list (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
>                (set-xorg-configuration
>                 (xorg-configuration (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
>          %desktop-services))
>
> You'll notice that I also install XFCE alongside EXWM, just in case (and
> because I used it before I started configuring EXWM).

Thank you for sharing your configuration with EXWM.

I added the LXQt service to my config because at this point I would be
happy to have any type of desktop or window manager if I could start X.
However I do not even get to the point where there is a graphical login
prompt or selection of window manager or desktop environment.  I am
still just getting a blinking cursor on tty7.