Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: Start Xorg server using xinit manually
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 16:41:33 -0400

Gary Johnson writes:

> Hmm...that's odd. %desktop-services contains both the gdm-service and
> the elogind-service, which should bring X along for the ride. It sounds
> like something in your configuration is preventing these services from
> presenting you with a graphical login screen.
>
> Could you share your operating-system declaration?

Here is my operating-system declaration:

```
(operating-system

 (locale "en_US.utf8")
 (timezone "America/City")

 (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us" "dvp"))

 (host-name "user")

 (users (cons* (user-account
                (name "user")
                (group "users")
                (home-directory "/home/user")
                (supplementary-groups
                 '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")))
               %base-user-accounts))

 (packages
  (append
   (list

    ;shell
    dash

    ;networking
    ath9k-htc-firmware
    wpa-supplicant
    nss-certs
    openvpn
    openssh-sans-x
    netcat
    curl
    wget
    speedtest-cli

    ;compression
    unzip

    ;encryption
    gnupg

    ;version control
    git

    ;spelling
    hunspell
    hunspell-dict-en-us

    ;x11 stuff
    eudev
    xorg-server
    xf86-video-ati
    xf86-video-fbdev
    xf86-video-vesa
    xinit
    xdotool
    xbanish
    xev
    sxhkd
    setxkbmap
    xrandr

    ;emacs
    emacs
    emacs-exwm

    ;mail
    mu
    offlineimap
    msmtp

    ;graphical web browsers
    surf
    nyxt

    ;communictations
    toxic
    qtox
    jami
    mumble)

   %base-packages))

 (services (append (list
                    (service lxqt-desktop-service-type))
                   %desktop-services))

 (bootloader
  (bootloader-configuration
   (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
   (target "/boot/efi")
   (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))

 (kernel-arguments '("nomodeset"))

 (mapped-devices
  (list (mapped-device
         (source
          (uuid "db155150-4229-4526-a67c-a3036e048c58"))
         (target "cryptroot")
         (type luks-device-mapping))))

 (file-systems
  (cons* (file-system
          (mount-point "/boot/efi")
          (device (uuid "318D-D6A7" 'fat32))
          (type "vfat"))
         (file-system
          (mount-point "/")
          (device "/dev/mapper/cryptroot")
          (type "ext4")
          (dependencies mapped-devices))
         %base-file-systems))

 (swap-devices (list "/swapfile")))
```

> Have you set up any custom X configuration files somewhere that might
> be interfering with the X launching process?

The only X related configuration files that I am aware of are:

.xinitrc with the contents "exec emacs".

.xsession with the contents "exwm".

.Xauthority is an empty file.

.Xdefaults has the contents:
```
XTerm*utf8: always
XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true

```

.exwm that contains my EXWM configuration.

If there are other relevant configuration files I can share there
contents as well.

> Is your graphics card supported with Guix and the X server?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
GPU: AMD ATI 05:00.0 Picasso

The graphics card works with the X server.  When I had Void installed on
the computer I was able to start X using `startx` with no problems.
Void uses a vanilla Linux kernel that has not been deblobbed like
Linux-libre.

I do not know if the graphics card is supported by Guix?