Re: build broken packages handling

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: build broken packages handling
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 22:45:24 -0400

Hi Andy,

Answers below.

Le 29 mars 2021 16:02:37 GMT-04:00, Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> a écrit :
>Two questions:
>
>1.  When submitting an updated package definition, is there an easy
>way to check if other packages may be broken by this update?   Right
>now it is easy to check if a package builds with updated package
>definition; but it is not easy to see if committing it will break
>others.

I can't check right now, but I think the contributing section in the manual
describes this. You might want to have a look :)

To list leaf packages that are affected by a change (and the number of packages
affected, including non-leaf), you can use guix refresh:

guix refresh -l foo

Will tell you which leaf packages are affected if you modify foo. Build them
all if the number is low. If the number of dependents is high enough to qualify
for staging or core-updates, then checking only some of them is ok.

>2. If a package is not building in guix, should a bug be filed against
>it?  Ot there is a way, a CI web interface or something that shows all
>existing packages whose builds are broken?

Yes, if the package is important to you, please file a bug report with details
about the failing build, to bug-guix. Don't bother upstream :)

We have ci.guix.gnu.org, which is our build farm. You can use the search box to
look for failing builds.

If you manage to fix some of them, definitely send a patch!