Re: symbolic links for --profile argument

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: symbolic links for --profile argument
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 06:42:29 -0400

Hi,

The first and third commands are equivalent. I believe the second command will
replace .guix-profile with a symlink to .guix-profile-1 which will link to the
store. The last command should fail, because you can't create a store item that
way.

I think guix environment --profile will create a profile and symlink directly
to the store, without creating generations. Guix package and its aliases
(update, remove, install) as well as guix pull create a generation, so their
--profile option has the same behavior.

HTH!