Re: Starting Sway a Wayland window manager

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: Starting Sway a Wayland window manager
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 17:12:40 -0400

Vagrant Cascadian writes:

> On 2021-03-29, Bone Baboon wrote:
>> When I run `dbus-run-session sway` on virtual terminal 1 sway does not
>> start and I get this output:
>>
>> ```
>> localhost dbus-daemon[380]: [system] Rejected send message, 2 matched rules;
>> type="method_call", sender=":1.24" (uid=1000 pid=26112 comm="sway ")
>> interface="org.freedesktop.login1.Session" member="SetType" error
>> name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.login1"
>> (uid=0 pid=381 comm="/gnu/store/jdk3r1gs4d36n3aj9fscsvwwc9prnrzp-elogin")
>
>                           vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
>> [backend/backend.c:303] Failed to open any DRM device
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I think this is your fundamental problem. There's no DRM device
> available (at least to your user). Are there devices in /dev/dri/, and
> are they writeable by your user?

What is the significance of the /dev/dri/ devices?
Is /dev/dri/ related to the GPU of a computer?
If there are no /dev/dri devices does that mean that the graphics card
is not compatible with Linux-libre or Guix and that a Wayland window
manager is not going to work?

I am trying to get Sway working on three computers.

Computer 0:
No /dev/dri/ directory.
The sticker on the computer says AMD Radeon Vega Graphics.
neofetch says the GPU is AMD ATI 05:00.0 Picasso.

Computer 1:
No /dev/dri/ directory.
neofetch says the GPU is NVIDEA GeForce FX 5200.

Computer 2:
Has a /dev/dri/ directory with devices that are writable by my user.
noefetch says the GPU is Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset.

I have not got Sway working on computer 0 or 1.

On computer 2 I am able to start Sway with `sway` on virtual terminal
1.

The relevant parts of the system configuration on computer 2 are:

```
  (packages
    (append
     (list
      sway ;Wayland window manager
      dmenu ;a selection utility that Sway can use to launch programs
      foot) ;a terminal emulator that works with Sway
     %base-packages))

  (services
   (append
    (list