Re: About packaging (was: About packaging documentation)

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: About packaging (was: About packaging documentation)
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 16:38:08 +0200

Hi Zelphir,

Zelphir Kaltstahl writes:
The guide at https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html> does not
mention running a lone `make`.

It says, after running ./configure:

   Finally, you have to invoke 'make check' [...]

This has the effect of running make [all], and then runs the test suite.

Ignore it at your peril. At most, substitute a ‘lone make’ for ‘make check’ if you're feeling lucky and have previously run the test suite.

There is an error. Perhaps I need to run it in the some kind of minimalistic GNU
Guix env as I ran the configure and bootstrap in?

Yep, *all* commands need to be run in the guix environment. No need for ‘--ad-hoc make’ here as ‘make’ is already an input to guix.

Trying that (warning, long log ahead):

[ 8< nom nom ]

  HELP2MAN doc/guix-time-machine.1
  HELP2MAN doc/guix-weather.1
  HELP2MAN doc/guix.1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/user/dev/guix'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/dev/guix'

Success!  \o/

So now it should be build with the package definition I added known, I guess.
Now I try running guix build again:

~~~~
$ ./pre-inst-env guix build guile-fslib

You need to run this inside the environment as well. You keep leaving it; that won't work. It used to work sometimes, years ago.

Instead of tediously prefixing everything with ‘guix environment guix --’, just enter the environment once and stay there:

 $ guix environment guix
 $ ./bootstrap
 $ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
 $ make -j`nproc` check
 $ ./pre-inst-env guix build guile-fslib
 $ ...
 $ exit # or C-d, to leave it when finished

That's a rather standard way of doing things.  Does it work?

Kind regards,

T G-R