Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 19:46:08 -0400

Julien Lepiller writes:

> There's special-files-service-type described here:
> http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Base-Services.html#Base-Services
>
> However, I'm not sure it will work in /sys. I guess you'll have to try and
> report back :)

Thank you for this suggestion.

I added this to services in my system configuration:

```
(service special-files-service-type
  `(("/sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink"
     "/home/user/no-blink"))
```

The contents of `home/user/no-blink` is "0".

When I run a system reconfiguration I get this error "guix system:
error: symlink: Operation not permitted:
"sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink.new".

Any ideas on how to overcome this error?

The contents of `/sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink` is reset to "1"
every time the computer is turned on and the cursor is blinking.  I
would like to get a service working that sets it to "0" so that I do not
need to manually change this setting every time I boot the computer.