Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 00:18:48 -0400

I have been able to execute this command
`echo "0" > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink`
with a system that was using `runit` as it's initialization
system. The command was executed during stage 1 of runit's system
initialization.
http://smarden.org/runit/runit.8.html

Is there an equivalent to runit's stage 1 for Shepherd?

Julien Lepiller writes:

> I think this is because you cannot replace a file a /sys like guix tries to.
> Instead, it seems you can set a linux kernel argument on the command line run
> by grub at startup. According to the internet, that would be
> "vt.global_cursor_default=0"
>
> You can set it up in your config by adding a kernel-arguments field to you
> operating-system declaration, like this:
>
> (operating-system
>   (kernel-arguments (cons "vt.global_cursor_default=0"
> %default-kernel-argumentt)))

Thank you for bringing this kernel argument to my attention.

It looks like there are three settings to choose from:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.15/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html

`-1` and `1` both are blinking cursors. `0` is no cursor at all.  The
challenge with no cursor at all is that it lacks the visual feedback of
where the cursor is located.