Re: What to do when a package is removed upstream

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: What to do when a package is removed upstream
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 14:06:46 +0200

Bonface Munyoki K. <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> writes:

You can use an ‘inferior’[0] Guix if you don't
mind the entire closure of python2-flask* being
frozen in the past -- possibly including
incompatibilities or known security
vulnerabilities.

I don't know what their inclusion & maintenance
criteria are, but another approach is to add the
removed packages to the guix-past[1] channel.

I reckon using guix-past (or another channel)
would be the way to go. I can't see any packages
that use "inferiors" yet; when that happens, it'd
be a good idea to start considering it!

To clarify: no packages distributed in the official Guix channel itself will ever use an inferior. Inferiors can, however, be used effectively in user manifests to install packages from the past (or using a particular combination of channels).

--
Ricardo