Re: guix workflow not found?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: guix workflow not found?
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 23:06:10 +0200

Hi stuebinm,

(I hope this is the right place for this question)

I’m not sure! :)

This list is fine, but we also have a dedicated GWL list: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gwl-devel/

I'm on a newly installed Guix machine, and have done the following:

  guix pull
  guix install gwl
  guix workflow

The output of the last is:

  guix: workflow: command not found
  Try `guix --help' for more information

As far as I can see from the gwl installation instructions [1], this should work out of the box. However, from inside guix repl I also
cannot load the (guix scripts workflow) module, so I assume that
perhaps the GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH variable is set incorrectly, even if it says it shouldn't be necessary to set it manually when on a guix
system (I don't really know what to set it to, however ...).

I’m sorry about this! The documentation really is not clear enough here. Annoyingly, you currently do need to set GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH manually. The reason for that is that Guix doesn’t yet do this automatically when using “guix pull”.

There is also a reason why the documentation is so vague: we hadn’t really come to consensus about the exact behavior of GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH. I intended to update the documentation once we had this figured out.

For now, I suggest you set it like this:

export GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH=$GUIX_PROFILE/share/guix/extensions/

where GUIX_PROFILE is the name of the profile directory where you installed the “gwl” package (in your case that’s likely just “$HOME/.guix-profile”).

~~~

I should also note that there are a couple of known bugs in the GWL at this point, and I’m working on adding a DRMAA backend to submit workflow jobs to an HPC cluster. There is no date for a new release yet, but I guess that in a few more weeks we will have accumulated enough fixes and features to announce a new release.

If you have a particular use-case in mind, I’d be very happy if you could tell us about it on gwl-devel, so that we can make sure the GWL grows in a direction that is beneficial for you.

--
Ricardo