Re: Any way to boot Guix with root partition elsewhere?

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Any way to boot Guix with root partition elsewhere?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 23:06:50 -0400

Vladilen Kozin <vladilen.kozin@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello guix.
>
> Is there a way out of this predicament? I can see two options.
> (1) can some Linux distro/bootloader do the FreeBSD trick: start on
> USB but then chain-boot Guix off that SSD? IIUC grub's chain-boot is
> of no help here, cause it simply won't even see that drive;
> (2) install and run Guix off USB but somehow ensure that "IO heavy"
> bits are mounted from that SSD. There's gotta be some (file-systems
> ...) combined with the way I `guix system init config.scm /mnt` (or
> rather what else I mount under /mnt where) that would achieve this?

Hmm. I'm way out of my depth here...

I think number 1 is your "best" bet.  I've no idea how to do that.

Number 2 is probably your "easiest" option.  /boot/ should be put on the
usb, and I suppose that the / should be on the SSD...You would install
this way.  That's probably how I'd do it.  Or rather that is how I would
try to do it.  :)

This is probably a silly idea...would linuxboot.org help?  You use linux
to boot?

Another silly idea...could you embed linux in your flashrom?  I think
that osboot.org is planning on embedding linux in the flashrom...That
would be pretty awesome.  My flashrom is only 8MB though...

Best of luck!

Joshua

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)