Re: Anyone running Guix on the pinephone?

From: raingloom
Subject: Re: Anyone running Guix on the pinephone?
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 17:22:16 +0200

On Sun, 02 May 2021 12:36:37 -0400
Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:

> Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:
>
> > I see the cookbook now mentions the possibility of running Guix on a
> > pinephone... is anyone actually doing it?  Mind posting your
> > experiences and setup?
> >
> > (Doesn't have to be as a phone necessarily... I'm more interested in
> > using it as a lightweight portable computer.  But a phone would be
> > nice too.)
>
> Is a pine phone good enough for a portable and personal computer?
> Doesn't it only have 2GB?  I was starting to run into RAM issues with
> 4GB when I was using Gnome.  Now I have 8GB and I am running sway.  No
> RAM issues anymore.
>
> Just out of curiosity, how would you deal with RAM issues/slow CPU
> issues on a pinephone?  Using a lightweight window manager and only
> run Emacs?  :)
>
> --
> Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
>   https://gnucode.me
>   https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
>   https://propernaming.org
>   "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help
> enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

Firefox works fine on it, can even compile some software on the device.
The trick is indeed to not run too much RAM eating crap at the same
time, browsers included. I wish Netsurf was more touch friendly and
less buggy.

Also there is a model with more RAM.

What's actually missing is better input. GTK's touch input is still
very far from Android's. Also a lot of apps need to be made more touch
friendly and responsive.

The big issues with Guix would be:
* too much wasted storage space compared to postmarketOS
* much slower guix pull
* no GUI frontend
* lots of missing packages