Re: mount.davfs: program is not setuid root

From: Simon Streit
Subject: Re: mount.davfs: program is not setuid root
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 22:59:44 +0200

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 09:30:56PM +0200, Simon Streit wrote:

>> > If I understand your use case correctly, you can use the built
>> > mount.davfs program directly from /gnu/store, like this:
>> >
>> > $(guix build -f davfs2)/sbin/mount.davfs [...]
>>
>> hm.. alright, then I did test that already.  It fails saying:
>> ./sbin/mount.davfs: program is not setuid root
>> and nothing else. :/
>
> Sorry, I don't remember the earlier discussion or what you are trying to
> accomplish. But it's expected that nothing in /gnu/store is setuid.
> You'd have to use sudo or become root.

The problem is, that davfs2 mount points can't be mounted as user,
despite the binary being setuid.  To make that work I added a line in my
declaration.  But it doesn't work as expected.  Hence Efraim's patch,
that should test if this would make a difference.

Mounting with as root has been working all the time and no errors are
returned.

So the next step would be to have this patched package put into my
system declaration to test and see if setuid has been set now.  My
knowledge is to limited to go this far yet.  Will just leave it as where
it is for now.  I don't need to access this mount point very often.

Cheers,
Simon