Re: Install and reinstall issues on Fedora 34

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Install and reinstall issues on Fedora 34
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 23:01:52 +0200

Hi,

Sébastien Pierre <sebastien.pierre@nzx.com> writes:

I am evaluating Guix and am running into some issues getting it to work under Fedora 34 Workstation. I followed the binary install instructions
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html>,
running the install script from an interactive root shell. All went well, I
rebooted the VM, but then guix-daemon failed to start:

I suggest running the guix-daemon command manually first to diagnose this.

But the same Permission Denied/Failed to locate issue remains. I know that Fedora uses SELinux which sometimes causes some problems, but I'm not sure
about how to resolve that.

There are really just two ways: either 1) disable SELinux (or set it to permissive mode) or 2) install/debug/reinstall the SELinux daemon policy that is included with Guix.

The daemon policy is *not* installed with the binary installation method because it is known to be incomplete. You would need to get a copy of the Guix sources and configure it. The file you want is called “etc/guix-daemon.cil”. To debug it you would need to install it, set SELinux to permissive mode, run the daemon, and then check the audit log for errors.

If you just want to start playing with Guix *right now* I suggest temporarily disabling SELinux.

--
Ricardo