Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:01:29 -0400

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> On 2021-07-24, Bone Baboon wrote:
>> jbranso--- via writes:
>
>>> and unfortunately it needs to support SMS and traditional calls, so there
>>> might be some binary blobs for the modem.
>
> I've been using for SMS and voice calls:
>
>   https://jmp.chat
>
> It runs on all free software and provides a pretty rich SMS experience
> using an XMPP client, and you can use a SIP (or maybe even XMPP) client
> for voice calls.

I use JMP.chat too...exclusively.  :)  BUT jmp.chat only works when you
have wifi.  And sometimes I would like to be at the downtown park, which
doesn't have wifi...if work called me then, I would not be available.
Since I get called if someone doesn't show up for a shift...that won't
quite work for me.

However, when SpaceX gets their satellite internet going...that may be
an option for me.

--
Joshua Branson (jab in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus