Re: How to enable Chromium DNS over HTTPS

From: phodina
Subject: Re: How to enable Chromium DNS over HTTPS
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 21:05:27 +0000

> Hello! I have to fight for my freedom with Russian government that having no
> idea how to spoil the ilfe except blocking various of web-sites doing it very
> quickly.
>
> And I have to use VPN for visit protonmail, safe-mail .net, tutanota and even
> prnt .sc.
>
> I bypass blocking very well in IceCat I do not know why. I only have there
> 'DNS over HTTPS".
>
> But in Ungogled-Chromium there are troubles even using VPN.
>
> Ungogled-Chromium does not download SSL-certificates when I visit protonmail
> (because of blocking on provider).
>
> I dug and I think dns over https will solve my problem, but under Guix this
> flag could not be enabled:
>
> chrome://flags/#dns-over-https
>
> Secure DNS lookups
>
> Enables DNS over HTTPS. When this feature is enabled, your browser may try to
> use a secure HTTPS
>
> connection to look up the addresses of websites and other web resources. Mac,
> Windows, Chrome OS,
>
> Android
>
> #dns-over-https
>
> Not available on your platform.
>
> It is not available on my platform. What shoud I do? What do I need to
> install for it?

Hi,
I use [1] dnscrypt-proxy which is a daemon listening on localhost port 53 and
encrypting all DNS queries in HTTPS.

FIY there is also DoT (DNS over TLS) which also encrypts the DNS queries though
directly using TLS not within an HTTPS protocol.

Both solutions have their pros and cons. Duckduckgo is your friend.

Hope it helps,
Petr

1: https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy