Re: Librem Mini with pureboot/head don't boot GuixSD

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Librem Mini with pureboot/head don't boot GuixSD
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 19:05:03 +0200

Bonjour Roland,

I've ordered another X230T this summer exactly to experiment with Heads+Guix, but it has yet to arrive.

On 2021-08-12 12:59, Roland Everaert via wrote:
I have tried re-signing the content of /boot with my librem key,

But are both your kernel and initrd in /boot, and is that whence you're loading them? From what I've read so far Heads assumes that they are, but this isn't correct on all distributions (such as Guix System[0]).

On Guix, all kernels and initrds are in your root partition's /gnu/store, and /boot/grub/grub.cfg points there--not to files in /boot. If the root partition is encrypted, it is GRUB that unlocks it first to load Linux.

Could that be the problem? Could you ask someone from Purism customer support about this? I'd expect a better error message if this were simply a case of not finding the kernel in a hard-coded location...

Without hardware to play with, I only know that Heads *could* support Guix System (it has all the needed components), but I don't yet know if it *does*. An alternative is to add support for separate /boot to Guix System, by copying the needed files at reconfiguration time. It's ugly but enables some exotic use cases that people have considered over the years, though not enough to implement it yet ;-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: The 'GuixSD' name was retired years ago.

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.