Re: Udev Rule Not Triggered

From: Antwane Mason
Subject: Re: Udev Rule Not Triggered
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:39:13 -0400

I'm honestly not sure what fixed the issue, but I am successfully able to
use the onlykey-cli without root privileges. I suspect the issue was my
method of testing whether a udev rule was being triggered actually was
interfering with it working. I used "udevadm test" and noticed two things.
First, was even when I was able to run onlykey-cli without root privileges,
running the test command did not show that the udev rule was triggered.
Second, each time the test command was performed, I had to restart the
computer before onlykey-cli would work again.

In addition to "udevadm test" being a potential cause of my issues, it is
unclear whether my system config changes also contributed to the solution.
Instead of creating a standalone udev rule service as I had originally,
I adapted the config from
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-05/msg00159.html and
modified the udev service type to include the udev rules for the onlykey. I
also imported the rules directly from github rather than manually
transcribing the rule as before.

I'm going to call it a day and try to do some exploration another day to
figure out the root cause. For now, I just wanted to say thank you,
Florian, for your help today. I hope this information can save someone else
some headaches in the future. If I find out the root cause, I'll be sure to
follow up here as well.

onlykey udev rule definition and extension of udev service type

(define %onlykey-udev-rule
  (file->udev-rule
    "49-onlykey.rules"
    (let ((version "v1.2.5"))
      (origin
       (method url-fetch)
       (uri
"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M0Rf30/https://raw.githubusercontent.com/trustcrypto/trustcrypto.github.io/master/49-onlykey.rules";)
       (sha256
        (base32 "1pj9i4hp0d74073x1qqwigd0cyriamg65zmx2j98mi0k66qrhcxa"))))))

(define %my-services
  (modify-services %desktop-services
                   (udev-service-type config =>
                                      (udev-configuration
                                       (inherit config)
                                       (rules (append
                                               (udev-configuration-rules config)
                                               (list %onlykey-udev-rule)))))))

service field definition

(services (append (list (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
                          (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
                          (bluetooth-service #:auto-enable? #t)
                          (set-xorg-configuration
                           (xorg-configuration