Re: Issue about building python on a foreign distro

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Issue about building python on a foreign distro
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 13:24:48 +0200

Am 22.08.21 um 13:27 schrieb Wade Zhang:
Recently I installed Guix on a Debian buster host.  I want to install all build
dependencies by Guix.  Since I use pyenv to manage Python versions, I have to
install Python outside Guix.  Now I get stuck during the Python installation.

I never used pyenv, but Python's virtual environments a lot. Lately I moved on to "direnv" for most projects, as this matches my "directory based" working style. Maybe you want to give it a try?

A typical ".envrc" file for me looks like this (combining both a guix profile and a virtual env for developing the current package)

...8<-------
use_guix --load-path=../guix-channel \
     -v 1 --keep-failed \
     --ad-hoc glibc-utf8-locales python-wrapper python-pip python-virtualenv \
     python-pep-adapter sequoia python-pyyaml python-requests \
     python-setuptools python-setuptools-scm python-wheel python-babel \
     python-pytest@5.3.5 python-pytest-cov python-pytest-mp \
     python-requests-mock python-filelock python-pexpect

layout_python3 --system-site-packages
pip install -e .
path_add PYTHONPATH $PWD

--