Guix Printing Problems

From: Peter
Subject: Guix Printing Problems
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 21:30:44 +1000

Greetings! This is my first post. I hope I'm doing it right, and please forgive
me if I'm not.

I have installed GUIX (including CUPS) onto a Lenovo ThinkCentre P520c,
successfully except that I cannot print from within the Guix installation. I
have a trusty Brother HL-5350DN laser printer connected via ethernet to my
local network. Pointing the browser to http//:localhost:631 brings up a CUPS
interface, but produces an error message: "The web interface is currently
disabled. Run "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" to enable it." I try that but "command
not found". Commands I have used like 'systemctl start cups.service' etc don't
work on Guix either. Is there a Guix equivalent? Attempts to enable the Web
interface via the config.scm (GNU Guix Reference Manual 10.8.7) have also
failed.

And yet: if I type the IP address of the printer '192.168.1.108' directly into
the browser, it shows up as "http://192.168.1.108/printer/main.html"; and I find
myself in a Brother utility for the printer, from which I can successfully do a
test print. The Brother utility has a number of screens: Home Page, View
Configuration, Maintenance Information, Find Device, Printer Settings,
Administrator Settings, Reset & Test, Network Configuration.

This ought to be encouraging, but when I attempt to print a working text
document (e.g. via Gedit) although the printer is listed (along with IP address
and all usual data) it says "Processing - Not connected?", despite the system
clearly knowing the address etc.

I set the printer up normally in Gnome Print Settings, but if I look at the
View Print Queue, it says "Document Print Status: Processing - Not connected?".
If I go into Server Settings to check the 'Publish shared printers connected to
this system' setting the troubleshooter recommended, I get "CUPS server error:
There was an error during CUPS operation: 'Failed to set settings'".
Troubleshooting's final verdict is "There is no obvious solution to this
problem."

I'm foxed, and frustrated, and as a desperate work-round I have to ssh the file
to another machine to be printed. By the way, I have successfully set up
printing for MacOS, nixOS, Debian, and Arch, but GUIX (alone) fails to find the
printer, except via the Brother utility.

Any clues? I earnestly want this FSF-endorsed distribution to work.

I'm including my config.scm, and the troubleshooting report.