Re: Blacklist Nouveau permanentely and no sound hda-intel

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Blacklist Nouveau permanentely and no sound hda-intel
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:02:52 +0200

Marco,

Hullo and welcome!

"Marco Menne" via 写道:
I searched a lot in the net but did'nt find an useful answer for Guix system. I know to blacklist the nouveau graphics driver on boot but how can I blacklist it permanentely?

You don't mention how you do so on boot.

I assume you're talking about adding ‘modprobe.blacklist=nouveau[,…]’ to the kernel command line[0] in GRUB.

You can easily ask[1] Guix to add it to the default kernel command line at each boot, like so:

 (operating-system
   […]
   (kernel-arguments
     (cons* "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau[,…]"
            […]
            %default-kernel-arguments))
   […])

Don't forget to reconfigure and optionally reboot.

My second question is about the hda-intel sound driver. I have hda-intel and nvidia-hdmi sound modules. On Slackware I cloud blacklist the Nvidia driver and could get the intel driver working. But as in Guix system there is no /etc/modprobe.d/ folder I don't know how to get my sound working.

You forgot to mention how you'd use /etc/modprobe.d to do so… ;-) So here too I can only guess an answer.

If you just want to add default module options, you can do so on the kernel command line as well: either manually in GRUB (to test) or the kernel-arguments field mentioned above.

For a random example plucked from ‘modinfo snd_hda_intel’: to disable power saving, simply add "snd_hda_intel.power_save=0", and the kernel will set this option for you whenever snd_hda_intel is loaded, no matter when or how or who loads it.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Initial-RAM-Disk [1]: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#operating_002dsystem-Reference