Re: How to add /bin/sh to the build environment

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: How to add /bin/sh to the build environment
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 17:23:43 -0500

As you found, it's not possible to write to the root directory of the
build environment as the build user.

I don't remember exactly, but I believe this was done as part of the fix
for CVE-2021-27851 [0].

Of course it can be annoying that /bin/sh cannot be added to the build
environment, but specifying a particular shell is an important part of
how Guix achieves the functional packaging model.

Relying on /bin/sh while building *could* be done properly with some
care, but since its use could indicate that the package will use /bin/sh
at run-time, we choose to omit it from the build environment, although
it does exist on Guix System and most systems that Guix supports.

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 08:19:27PM +0000, Foo Chuan Wei wrote:
> * `OS.Process.system` will always use /bin/sh. This is hardcoded. I
>  cannot change it. If I change it, the behavior of `OS.Process.system`
>  would probably be wrong in the final product (the sml compiler).
>
> I'm not even sure if I can use `substitute*`, since the build process
> relies on binary "bootfiles" where /bin/sh is hardcoded.

It will be necessary to fix this issue in the SML/NJ package definition
(I think you've done this in a followup patch), because Guix does not
accept packages that rely on pre-built binaries — everything must be
built from source code. There are some exceptions but I don't think that
SML/NJ will qualify due to its obscurity compared to other language
implementations. If SML/NJ cannot be built without the binary bootfiles,
it probably won't be eligible for inclusion in GNU Guix.

[0] The CVE ID will appear on the blog post shortly... it took several
weeks to get the ID assigned and I forgot to add it to the blog post
until now.
https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2021/risk-of-local-privilege-escalation-via-guix-daemon/