Re: Best base system for Guix

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: Best base system for Guix
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 15:47:52 +0300

Alexander Asteroth <alexander.asteroth@h-brs.de> writes:

> of course the optimum is probably a pure native Guix system. But if this
> is not possible, what system forms the best base for Guix. I've tried
> arch and debian 11 and noticed that the packages available in Guix under
> arch are way more recent (e.g icecat 91 vs 6x) and more in general.

I don't see how the base system could influence Guix's package
availability.

Things that might differ from one base system to the other are some
default configurations (environment variables, etc).  For example, a
friend of mine tried to use Guix on top of Ubuntu and there was a big
mess concerning XDG_* environment variables and the X window system (I
don't remember the details).

If you're curious about Guix, I strongly advice using the whole system.
The community, afaik, doesn't put too much effort in making sure that it
works flawlessly out-of-the-box for all systems, since there other
priorities.  Regardless, the community would be happy to accommodate any
contribution in that direction.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"