Re: Logging and guix-home

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Re: Logging and guix-home
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 21:13:59 +0000

Hi,

Sorry for the radio silence, it's been a busy week.

Hartmut Goebel <hartmut@goebel-consult.de> writes:

> Does setting #:log:file to /dev/stdout work for you? ((Just an idea,
> I've not tested it)

Yes, it has the same behavior as not using #:log:file. And that is to
output everything to the first tty I log into. Which is the behavior I
would like to avoid, it makes the logging ephemeral and also hard to
read. As I have it to automatically spawn sway if I login on tty1.

Right now logging to a file kind of works, as I don't have many user
daemons running (only ssh-agent). And ssh-agent does not output that
much. One downside I don't have any timestamps in the log file or
anything like that.

Gnupg was hard to convert as my foreign distro needs it and it ships
with systemd socket files which are enable by default. And I'm too lazy
to disable those in case I break something on my foreign distro.

So I've put the logging on the backburner. And I'll revisit it once I
have moved all my dotfiles over to guix home.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g