Re: Gajim unsupported locale setting on foreign distro

From: David Lecompte
Subject: Re: Gajim unsupported locale setting on foreign distro
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 08:54:40 +0000

Hello,

Le mardi 23 novembre 2021 à 01:43 -0700, Joseph Turner a écrit :
> Running Guix 1.3.0-12.9bbbac6 on top of a foreign distro, Debian 11
> (bullseye).
>
> Gajim was installed with `guix install gajim`, and it works well.
> However, I am unable to make use of `gajim-remote`, which returns the
> error:

I am using Gajim from Guix on top of Trisquel 9. When I try gajim-
remote, I have a message that D-Bus is not installed or the Python
module is missing:

$ gajim-remote
D-Bus n’est pas présent sur cette machine ou le module python est
manquant

For some reason, even with export LC_ALL=C, the message is still in
French. I have D-Bus running on Trisquel as well as Python2 and Python3
installed and haven't been able to identify what module could be
missing.

When I asked on the Gajim support channel about this (not sure exactly
when, perhaps 2-3 months ago), I was told not to use gajim-remote but
rather some other tool to send D-Bus messages to Gajim. So I am not
sure whether gajim-remote is still functional and so far, I gave up on
this.

By the way, yesterday, after I did "guix pull" and "guix package -u",
the update failed on Gajim. I'll try with another computer running
Trisquel 9 and Guix to see whether the same occurs.

David.