Re: shepherd: Service tor could not be started.

From: Wiktor Żelazny
Subject: Re: shepherd: Service tor could not be started.
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 12:37:41 +0100

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 07:16:23PM -0600, Caleb Herbert wrote:

> To complete the upgrade, run 'herd restart SERVICE' to stop,
> upgrade, and restart each service that was not automatically restarted.
> Run 'herd status' to view the list of services on your system.
> root@bender ~# herd restart tor
> Service tor is not running.
> Service tor could not be started.

Hi Celeb,

To my understanding for some reason one cannot stop a tor service using
GNU Shepherd. When I need to restart, I kill the tor process using `kill
<PID>`, and only then run `herd restart tor`.

> * Running Tor manually

> Nov 26 19:01:57.107 [warn] Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:9050: Address
> already in use. Is Tor already running?

Apparently, tor is running. It tends to happen to me after reconnecting
to the Internet that I cannot use tor, anymore, although the process is
still running. I need to perform the above procedure to make it usable
again.

Not sure if that addresses your problem, but you can try this poor-man’s
method.

WŻ