Printer configuration failed due to missing filters

From: Daniel Meißner
Subject: Printer configuration failed due to missing filters
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 09:39:23 +0100

Hi Guix!

I am currently trying to configure my Epson printer on Guix system using
system-config-printer.  The printer is connected via USB and is
automatically detected in the dialog window that opens if I click on
"Add". I select the printer from the list and click on "Forward", then I
enter the printer name, a description and a location in the section
"Describe Printer".  However, if I click on "Apply", the following error
message is printed:

> Printer 'EPSON-...' requires the
> '/gnu/store/...-cups-2.3.3/lib/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper',
> program but it is not currently installed. Please install it before
> using this printer.

The printer is added but trying to print a test page yields: ‘CUPS
server error.  There was an error during the CUPS operation: ’No such
file or directory’.’ According to the Guix manual, the epson-escpr
filter should be installed by default when using the cups-service-type.
Nevertheless, I also made it explicit in my system configuration:

(service cups-service-type
         (cups-configuration
          (extensions
           (list cups-filters
                 epson-inkjet-printer-escpr))))

Looking in the system profile I cannot find it: ‘find
/run/current-system/profile -name "epson-escpr-wrapper"’ shows no
results.  There is also no cups directory under
/run/current-system/profile/lib.  Am I missing something?

Since I am running Gnome, I also tried to configure the printer using
gnome-control-center.  However, here the error message is not so
detailed.  It just says: ‘Failed to add new printer’.

I think this is an issue specific to Guix because the printer works with
other Linux distros.

Best
Daniel