Re: postgresql client packaging recipe

From: Mortimer Cladwell
Subject: Re: postgresql client packaging recipe
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 06:35:08 -0500

Thanks Tobias

You have updated my thinking about postgresql.

On Debian, apt-get install postgresql installs the postgres database/user
and starts the service.  If you are distributing a client app (I am) and
you only want to provide the user with the psql executable (I do), then you
have the client install postgresql-client.

With guix, it looks like guix package -i postgresql does not by default
create a database/user and start the service, but does provide the psql
executable. Maybe I can provide the postgresql package without having to
worry about polluting the users desktop with db/user/service. That would
make postgresql-client redundant.

That is my current thinking. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks
Mortimer