Re: nmtui - user authorisation

From: Paul Jewell
Subject: Re: nmtui - user authorisation
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 11:04:39 +0000

On 29/12/2021 00:50, raingloom wrote:
On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:39:52 +0000
Paul Jewell<paul@teulu.org>  wrote:

On 27/12/2021 23:20, Leo Famulari wrote:
On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 10:07:17PM +0000, Paul Jewell wrote:
Solved this - nmtui needs to be run as root; my script which
invoked the program didn't consider that. Changing it to run as
sudo gives me an opportunity to enter my password, and then
successfully setup the wifi interface details.
Another option is to add nmtui to the list of programs that are
setuid. That way, any user on your system could configure wifi,
which may be more ergonomic.

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Setuid-Programs.html
This option did work as expected. The only additional point for
anyone else coming across this post with the same issue: remember to
add the

#:use-module (gnu system setuid)

so the setuid record is known.

Thanks Leo!
Uhm, I'm pretty sure NetworkManager lets any user modify networking
settings as long as they are in a certain group?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NetworkManager#Set_up_PolicyKit_permissions

At least that's how it is on postmarketOS and I'm also fairly certain I
never needed root access to set up WiFi under Guix either, but I don't
have a system at hand to verify that on.

I did also think this, but I couldn't identify which group would let this happen. I thought it would be the netdev group, but my user account is already a member of that group. The network group is unknown to the system (as in I had an error when trying to add the user to the supplementary group) so I added it, but it didn't have any effect (after rebooting). If there is another group I should be in, I am not sure how to find out. At the moment, the setuid approach seems to work OK (although I would prefer a group solution!).

I am interested in anyone else's experience!