Re: Avoiding rebuilds (e.g. of mariadb, the entire Rust chain, etc.)?

From: David Lecompte
Subject: Re: Avoiding rebuilds (e.g. of mariadb, the entire Rust chain, etc.)?
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 17:36:00 +0000

Le mercredi 29 décembre 2021 à 10:12 +0100, zimoun a écrit :
> Maybe I miss something with your requirements.  To avoid such
> disagreements, I do 3 things:
>
>  1) enable ’channel-with-substitutes-available’ [1]
>
>  2) split profiles: essentials under ~/.guix-profile (nss-certs, git,
>  recutils, glibc-locales, tree, etc.); emacs under
>  ~/.config/guix/profiles/emacs, python under
>  ~/.config/guix/profiles/python, etc.  All the profiles managed using
>  manifest.scm [2]
>
>  3) run “guix weather -m manifest.scm” before updating

Thanks for the suggestions!

I created a channels.scm file to enable ’channel-with-substitutes-
available’ following what is indicated in [1]. Does that have an effect
even without the split profiles?

I am still reading [2] on the split profiles, I will try when I become
confident I somehow understood (I never used a manifest.scm file so
far).

I saw that, even without a manifest.scm file, I can run "guix weather"
with a list of packages as argument, so I can do that with the
installed packages to get a clue before running an update, and wait in
case some substitute is not available yet.

My (still very low) understanding of Guix is getting slightly higher
thanks to your advice, thanks again!

David.