Re: Guix Home Entertainment SoC Media Server?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Guix Home Entertainment SoC Media Server?
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:33:12 -0500

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 04:06:56PM +0700, Blake Shaw wrote:
> I just got a TV and want to put together a little SoC home media server for
> it (perhaps with beaglebone black, as that appears to be the recommended
> SoC for Guix). Has anyone had any experience with this? Thoughts?
> I figure it could be a fun use of `Guix Deploy`, but I've never put
> together a SoC media server before, so I'm not sure what packages to
> peek at, or what "out of the box" (re: raspbian etc) options are
> available.

I think this would be a great project for Guix. It's something that Guix
should be really good at, once all the wrinkles are ironed out.

Although the BeagleBone Black is a very nice computer in many way, I do
recommend against it for Guix System because our build farm support for
its CPU architecture (armhf) is currently sub-par. And the BBB's CPU is
optimized for low-power use, so building packages on it will be slow.

I would search for a 64-bit ARM computer. That is, the "aarch64" CPU
architecture. We have better build farm support and it will probably
continue to improve.