Re: Add VLAN with Guile Netlink link-add

From: Niklas Schmidt
Subject: Re: Add VLAN with Guile Netlink link-add
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:30:53 +0000

Thanks a lot, Julien!

I really like the short examples in the documentation. They are very helpful to me.

Adding the VLAN link works now.

For anyone interested, here is what works for me, based on Julien's documentation:

As root (in order to configure network interfaces):

  root@guix ~# guix shell \
  > --pure \
  > --with-latest=guile-netlink \
  > guile guile-netlink \
  > -- guile
  guix shell: warning: cannot authenticate source of 'guile-netlink', version
1.1.2
  updating checkout of 'https://git.lepiller.eu/git/guile-netlink'...
  retrieved commit 81c33102905b6a4467bbe2eefb9c17c6c23a58b3
  Consider installing the 'guile-readline' package for
  convenient interactive line editing and input history.
Consider installing the 'guile-colorized' package
  for a colorful Guile experience.
GNU Guile 3.0.7
  Copyright (C) 1995-2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
  This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
Enter `,help' for help. scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (ip link) (ip addr)) scheme@(guile-user)> (link-add "ens3.10" "vlan" #:type-args '((id . 10) (link . "ens3")))
  $1 = #t
  scheme@(guile-user)> (addr-add "ens3.10" "192.168.10.219/24")
  $2 = #t
  scheme@(guile-user)> (link-set "ens3.10" #:up #t)
  $3 = #t

A ping over the newly created link works.

Greetings
Niklas

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 14:01:08 +0100, Julien Lepiller wrote:
Thanks for the report! It looks like I didn't read the netlink documentation
properly and forgot a part of the message. I think I just fixed that in
guile-netlink 1.1.2. You can access it with --with-latest=guile-netlink ;)