Re: Running graphical apps with guix shell --container

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Running graphical apps with guix shell --container
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:22:01 +0000

Hi Daniel,

On Friday, January 28th, 2022 at 7:42 AM, Daniel Meißner
<daniel.meissner-i4k@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

> > Also, trying the following example from Guix manual, the browser does not
> > start:
> >

> > EXAMPLE:
> > $ guix shell --container --network --no-cwd ungoogled-chromium
> > --preserve='^DISPLAY$' -- chromium
> > Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified
>

> This example only works on foreign distros. See the mails [1-3] on
> help-guix. However, this seems to be known much longer [4]. However,
> IMHO it is not really documented in the manual. Maybe it's time to do
> something about it since this question has now come up three times in
> the last two months. I am willing to write something but I do not feel
> compentent enough since I don't really know much about X.

Somehow I missed those messages... Daniel, I think it would be good to report
the issue to https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ with the information in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2021-12/msg00088.html, and provide
the command below as a proposed replacement, which I can confirm launches
chromium in Guix System. I think that would be a start at least. Would you like
to do that, or should I do it?

> Concerning the chromium example, for me this works:

> guix shell --container --network --no-cwd ungoogled-chromium \
> --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' \
> --expose=$XAUTHORITY -- chromium
>

> Maybe for your example (I couldn't check since I didn't find any package
> called mazo or python-mazo) this would work:

Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that "mazo" is an application I'm writing.
It's not in Guix yet.

> guix shell -C --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' \
> --expose=$XAUTHORITY

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I got the same result as before.

Daniel, thanks for taking a look at this.