Re: ublock extension for ungoogled-chromium

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: ublock extension for ungoogled-chromium
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 11:07:27 +0100

Hi Reza,

Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> skriver:

> Hello Guixers
>
> I installed ungoogled-chromium and ublock-origin-chromium and just assumed
> it will work. But it seems that the extension does not get registered in
> chromium. Does anybody know what I have to do to achieve this?

It should definitively "just work", however there are caveats:

* It relies on the $CHROMIUM_EXTENSION_DIRECTORY variable, which is
  automatically configured by Guix when you install both packages; but
  you may need to log out and in again for it to take effect.
* If you have a previous ~/.config/chromium directory from the (googled)
  Chromium laying around, there may be strange interactions.

You can avoid both caveats by running:

  guix shell {ungoogled,ublock-origin}-chromium -- \
    chromium --user-data-dir=/tmp/chromium-profile

Does the extension show up then?

> Marius Bakke mentioned in his patch [1] that updating does not work, is
> this the reason why?

Updating has since been fixed.  :-)

Thanks,
Marius