Permissions issue

From: Platoxia
Subject: Permissions issue
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 20:44:53 +0000

I have set up my config.scm for my all-in-one HP and printing works fine but I
have some weird permissions issue with the scanner. I've tried two scanner
programs (simple scan and xsane) and both have the same problem of not finding
the scanner unless I launch the program from the cli with sudo.

In accordance with the manual, I modified '%desktop-services' exactly as stated
for adding the "sane-backends" hoping that it would handle this issue but
nothing has changed after re-configuring the system and rebooting. I even
installed sane-backends-minimal, sane-backends, hplip-minimal, and hplip to my
profile but it didn't fix the issue. In fact, that just brought up another
issue in that the QT front-end to HPLIP doesn't launch at all (I read that it
has scanner related settings, which is why I installed it).

Someone on the #guix mentioned something about udev rules but according to the
manual the desktop services are supposed to handle that. I'm at a loss for what
to do at this point and would appreciate some guidance.

Here is my config.scm incase it helps uncover the issue: