Cannot login (login screen loop) after some packages are installed

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Cannot login (login screen loop) after some packages are installed
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 09:38:50 +0100

Hi Nikos,

my apologies for the long delay.  You may have better luck on
help-guix@gnu.org; bug-guix@gnu.org is usually for bugs which can be
reproduced by others.

> I have succesfully installed guix in trisquel 9 (mate).
>
> I have installed some packages and everything is working as expected.
[…]
> But when I install gnucash, or cawbird and reboot the system doesn't
> autologin and stays at login screen. Inserting the password is just
> getting me back to the login screen.

I don’t know what the problem is, but I suspect that trisquel is unhappy
with environment variables that Guix has set.  Guix defines variables
based on the contents of your profile at ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile.
In your shell initialization you probably load them; e.g. with this
snippet in ~/.bash_profile:

    GUIX_PROFILE=$HOME/.guix-profile
    source $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile

When you comment this Guix will not set any variables, so it has no way
of affecting your environment at all.  Can you log in after removing
these lines?  (You can evaluate these lines after logging in.)

If so, we should try to figure out which of these variables is
responsible.  Could you please show the contents of that etc/profile
file?  A common suspect is one of the XDG_* variables.

Hope that helps!

--
Ricardo