Re: guix pull

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: guix pull
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 12:19:58 -0500

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 04:28:08PM +0000, Gottfried wrote:
> how often do I have to do a "guix pull"? Once a week, or twice a week, or
> every second week?

You never *have* to do it, but I recommend you do it at least once a
week, if that works for you. There are security problems fixed in every
update of packages with big codebases, such as browsers, kernels, etc.

> Are there possibilities to know, when security updates are made and I should
> do a guix pull?

Currently we only announce security fixes in Guix itself.  That is, we
do not announce security updates of packages, although we do often
mention them in the Git log:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/

> Should I do a guix pull basically in my user account?
>
> Or should I do a guix pull basically in the root account?
>
> As far as I understood if I do a gux pull in my user account, it has no
> influence to the root account?

Correct.

`guix pull` is per-user. Every user can do their own `guix pull`, and it
doesn't affect any other user. Root is just another user. There is
nothing special about root from this perspective.

> But If I do a guix pull only in my user account, it would mean, as far as I
> understand it, the root account would not get security updates?

Correct.

> What should be the procedure?

As each user that you wish to update, do `guix pull` to update Guix and
the list of available packages and services, and then do `guix upgrade`
to actually upgrade your packages. If you use Guix System, you upgrade
the system with `guix system reconfigure`.