Re: How to work with npm from guix shell

From: Martin Castillo
Subject: Re: How to work with npm from guix shell
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 13:43:21 +0100

Hi,

Am 18.02.22 um 13:27 schrieb Roland Everaert via:
Unfortunatelly I got the following error during the execution of 'npm install
-g @solid/community-server'

The -g flag tells npm that you want to install the package globaly, which on guix, is inside the read-only gnu store. You can either just omit -g to install the packages in the current directory, or use <https://github.com/sindresorhus/guides/blob/master/npm-global-without-sudo.md>, which was proposed here: <https://yhetil.org/guix-user/87zhatypbh.fsf@jlicht.xyz/t/>

I am totally illiterate about node.js and its ecosystem. So, how to setup a
proper environment for running node.js application with guix shell or guix in
general?

Guix packages packages from other language specific packagers, like pip. But I don't think we have node modules tracked by guix.
AFAIK, the above solution is best practice.

Someone else might know more.

Martin