Re: Reduce (use-module... to minimally required set

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Reduce (use-module... to minimally required set
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 20:47:14 -0500

Hello Mortimer,

Mortimer Cladwell <mbcladwell@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I have taken the Artanis packaging recipe from guile-xyz.scm and modified
> it to suit my needs.  For the (use-module... section I simply copied all
> the modules required by guile-xyz.scm.  I suspect Artanis requires a much
> smaller subset. Is there a way to report modules actually used so I can
> reduce the (use-module... statement to the bare minimum?

There are some warnings you can get via 'guild compile'; e.g.:

$ guild compile -Whelp
The available warning types are:

  `unsupported-warning'  warn about unknown warning types
  `unused-variable'      report unused variables
  `unused-toplevel'      report unused local top-level variables
  `shadowed-toplevel'    report shadowed top-level variables
  `unbound-variable'     report possibly unbound variables
  `macro-use-before-definition' report possibly mis-use of macros before they
are defined
  `use-before-definition' report uses of top-levels before they are defined
  `non-idempotent-definition' report names that can refer to imports on first
load, but module definitions on second load
  `arity-mismatch'       report procedure arity mismatches (wrong number of
arguments)
  `duplicate-case-datum' report a duplicate datum in a case expression
  `bad-case-datum'       report a case datum that cannot be meaningfully
compared using `eqv?'
  `format'               report wrong number of arguments to `format'

'unused-toplevel' is close but seems limited to variables, which modules
aren't apparently.  It'd be a very useful thing to add, indeed!

Maxim