Guix website and CI is unavailable in Russia

From: w96k
Subject: Guix website and CI is unavailable in Russia
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:21:46 -0800

Hello. Looks like Guix website (guix.gnu.org) and guix ci in cli (can't
pull and install packages from ci.guix.gnu.org) doesn't work without a
tor for some users from Russia including me. Gnu.org works fine without
a tor.

The website is not blocked by Russian government (at least looks like
so):

https://www.isitblockedinrussia.com/?host=guix.gnu.org

As far as I know they block it by domain address, but I might be wrong.

I want to ask guix server location and ask is it some kind of ban from
guix server side or not? Maybe guix server provider or government bans
some russian ips now. Everything works fine through tor for me and some
ru users. It would be sad to stop using guix system because of war
issues.

Also it is kinda related to GNU's freedom #1, because not everyone can
access the code and the compiled software via internet connection: "The
freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your
computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a
precondition for this."

On a related note, do you think it might be a good idea to make offline
guix distribution? Looks like Russia has a danger of internet shutdowns
or china-like internet limitations. It can be organized like
/gnu/sources/ folder with source code of many packages and when package
name is present them, guix would choose to build from source without
trying to connect to the servers or something like it. Just an idea.

Thanks in advance.